PCA's Double-Goal Coach Award is given to youth and high school sports coaches from throughout the U.S. who embody the ideals of the Double-Goal Coach, striving to win, while also pursuing the more important goal of teaching life lessons through sports.
The 50 national award winners will receive $200; a certificate; recognition in PCA's website, newsletters and media campaigns; and the chance to win an all expense paid trip to California to accept the honor during PCA's National Youth Sports Awards Dinner and Benefit Sponsored by Deloitte on Saturday, April 22, 2017 in Palo Alto, CA.
Nominations are now closed for the 2017 Double-Goal Coach Award. Finalists will be announced in February, 2017. Winners will be announced in March/April, 2017.
Questions? Contact PCA's Jennie Wulbrun.
Helpful Program Links
- 2017 Double-Goal Coach® Award National Winners Announced
- 2017 Double-Goal Coach® Award National Finalists Announced
- What is a Double-Goal Coach?
- Printable program flyer
- The Double-Goal Coach Award: What Sports Culture Needs
- 4 Tips For First-Time Coaches From A Double-Goal Coach Award Winner
- See Past Winners
2017 Award Winners And Finalists in the Media
February 22, 2017
Double-Goal Coach® Award Winners Mark Smith and Dan Springer Featured in KBZK Bozeman News
Bozeman lacrosse coaches receive national honors
February 17, 2017
Double-Goal Coach® Award Winner Tony McGeary Featured in Herald Extra
Provo football coach Tony McGeary honored by Positive Coaching Alliance
By Neil K. Warner
February 15, 2017
Double-Goal Coach® Award Winner Robyn Berry Featured in Marin Independent Journal
Dominican doubleheader features playoff implications, potential financial donation
February 8, 2017
Double-Goal Coach® Award Finalist Featured in The Mercury News
Menlo-Atherton football coach Adhir Ravipati recognized for success on and off the field
By Vytas Mazeika
Who is Eligible
Any youth sports or high school sports coach in the U.S., who is a current head coach with at least three years’ experience is eligible for PCA’s Double-Goal Coach® Award. PCA staff and Certified PCA Trainers are not eligible for consideration. Coaches can only win this award once but can be nominated and named finalists multiple times.
Completing a Nomination
A nomination is complete when the online nomination form is complete and accompanied by at least one completed reference. At least one reference, and not more than 25, must be submitted for a nomination to be considered complete.
Nominations for the 2017 Double-Goal Coach Award are now closed. Nominations for the 2018 Award will open on September 1, 2017.
Nominees are assessed on the extent to which they reflect the model of a Double-Goal Coach, whose first goal is winning, and whose second, more-important goal is teaching life lessons through sports. A Double-Goal Coach behaves as follows:
• Takes a mastery approach to sport rather than a scoreboard orientation, teaching athletes to make maximum effort, continuously learn and improve, and not let themselves be stopped by mistakes or fear of mistakes.
• Fills Emotional Tanks of athletes, refusing to motivate through fear, intimidation, or shame. Recognizing that a player’s “Emotional Tank,” like the gas tank of a car, must be full in order to go anywhere, the Double-Goal Coach provides a fuel mixed of five specific, truthful praises for every specific, constructive correction.
• Honors the Game by respecting ROOTS (Rules, Opponents, Officials, Teammates, Self).
The Double-Goal Coach Award Selection Committee will select Chapter Winners & National Finalists of the Double-Goal Coach Award. All National Finalists will be announced in February of 2017. National Winners will be announced in March/April of 2017.