Does your coach deserve $10,000? Positive Coaching Alliance, in conjunction with Taube Family Foundation, wants to help you dream big with a $10,000 prize to our Double-Goal Coach Award GRAND PRIZE WINNER!
We will select one of our 50 National Winners to receive a $10,000 GRAND PRIZE to be split between the coach ($2,500) and the sports organization or school of his/her choice ($7,500).
By nominating a deserving coach today, your coach could join us at the 2019 National Youth Sports Awards. Take a look at the 4 outstanding 2018 Double-Goal Coach® Award winners chosen for a panel discussion led by Olympian Summer Sanders at this year's event.
Double-Goal Coach Award
PCA's Double-Goal Coach Award is given to youth and high school sports coaches from throughout the U.S. who embody the ideals of the Double-Goal Coach, striving to win, while also pursuing the more important goal of teaching life lessons through sports.
The 50 national award winners will receive $200; a certificate; recognition on PCA's website, newsletters and media campaigns; and 2 tickets to the 2019 National Youth Sports Awards & Benefit sponsored by Deloitte ($500 value). Select winners will be chosen to participate in a panel discussion during the event and will receive an all-expense paid trip for two to attend the event in California. New this year, thanks to the generosity of Taube Family Foundation, one GRAND PRIZE WINNER will receive $10,000 - $2,500 for the coach and $7,500 for the team or program of his/her choice! A background check will be completed if named a national finalist.
Nominations will open for the 2019 Awards on September 1, 2018 and will close on November 30, 2018. Finalists will be announced in early 2019. Winners will be announced in Spring 2019.
Questions? Contact PCA's Jennie Wulbrun. In the event an award winner acts in a manner inconsistent with the principles of PCA or in a manner that would reflect poorly on PCA, PCA reserves the right to rescind this Award.
Nominees are assessed on the extent to which they reflect the model of a Double-Goal Coach, whose first goal is winning, and whose second, more-important goal is teaching life lessons through sports. A Double-Goal Coach behaves as follows:
• Takes a mastery approach to sport rather than a scoreboard orientation, teaching athletes to put forward maximum effort, continuously learn and improve, and not let themselves be stopped by mistakes or fear of mistakes.
• Fills Emotional Tanks of athletes, refusing to motivate through fear, intimidation, or shame. Recognizing that a player’s “Emotional Tank,” like the gas tank of a car, must be full in order to go anywhere, the Double-Goal Coach provides a fuel mixed of five specific, truthful praises for every specific, constructive correction.
• Honors the Game by respecting ROOTS (Rules, Opponents, Officials, Teammates, Self).
• In the event an award winner acts in a manner inconsistent with the principles of PCA or in a manner that would reflect poorly on PCA, PCA reserves the right to rescind this Award.
The Double-Goal Coach® Award Selection Committee will select Chapter Winners/National Finalists for the Double-Goal Coach® Award in early/mid February 2019. Fifty National Winners will be announced in March 2019.
Who is Eligible
Any youth sports or high school sports coach in the U.S., who is a current head coach with at least three years’ experience is eligible for PCA’s Double-Goal Coach® Award. PCA staff and Certified PCA Trainers are not eligible for consideration.
A coach can be named as a National Finalist multiple times. If a coach has been honored as a National Winner, he or she will not be eligible for consideration in future years. Please contact PCA if you are not sure if a person you wish to nominate has been named a National Winner.
Completing a Nomination
A nomination is complete when the online nomination form is complete and accompanied by at least one completed reference. At least one reference, and not more than 25, must be submitted for a nomination to be considered complete.
Nominations will open for the 2019 Awards on September 1, 2018 and will close on November 30, 2018.
Learn about Tawanna Flowers, David Klein, Katie Schlosser, and Steve Sills– PCA's four National Double-Goal Coach Award presented by TeamSnap. Watch their inspiring tribute videos below:
Tawanna Flowers, Trinity Valley School (Basketball), Fort Worth, TX
David Klein, Legends Baseball Academy (Baseball), Menlo Park, CA
Helpful Program Links
- 2018 Double-Goal Coach® Award National Winners
- 2018 Double-Goal Coach® Award National Finalists
- What is a Double-Goal Coach?
- Printable program flyer
- Media Coverage Of Past Winners
- Know A Coach That Helps Kids Believe In Themselves? Nominate Now
- When You Call Your Club A "Life Skills Club" You Deserve Recognition
- David Klein's End-of-Season Parent-Player Meeting
Watch inspiring tribute videos of last year's winners below:
Katie Schlosser, Brookfield Academy (Field Hockey), Brookfield, WI
Steve Sills, Homewood Middle School (Football, Track & Field), Homewood, AL